The Kern Mosquito & Vector Control District is an independent district formed pursuant to the California Health and Safety Code, Section 2000 et seq. The District was formed in 1916, but began control operations in August of 1917 and was originally named the Dr. Morris Mosquito Abatement District. Dr. Morris was a well-known local physician and County Health Officer who was responsible for initiating the formation of the District. The original District encompassed 48 square miles and its objective was to control mosquitoes and malaria along the Kern River and its sloughs.
In 1947, the District’s name was changed by its Board of Trustees to Kern Mosquito Abatement District in order to give the name a more geographical connotation. The Old River, Arvin, and Lamont areas were annexed into the District in 1945. The Shafter area was annexed in 1947 and Wasco in 1951. The Semi-Tropic and Buttonwillow areas were annexed in 1956 which increased the District’s size to 1,657 square miles making Kern Mosquito and Vector Control District the sixth-largest mosquito abatement district in the State.
The District’s name was changed again in 1991 to the Kern Mosquito and Vector Control District to reflect the fact that the District undertook the control of Roof Rats as part of its operations.